Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Old Habits Die Hard

This is my first semester back in school in 2 years. This second attempt is working out a lot better. But there are still some issues I have to overcome. The biggest thing I've been struggling with is procrastination. I find it really hard sometimes to make myself do work and put in effort. It's not nearly as bad as it was in the past, but sometimes I just can't find the drive to do things. I've had a self-discipline problem for many years now. It probably started in middle school when I got my first C and oddly didn't feel like shit afterwards. I was mostly a straight A student before that and had always been praised for my good work ethic. But something changed. Apathy set in. I didn't feel like I had to always give it my all and that I was OK with being "average." Maybe it was just because I was growing up that it happened but I lost a very important part of myself. Without it I was sure to fail. And I did. Now I'm in the process of rebuilding myself. It's not an easy task. It's hard to change yourself. Especially when the tools you need for change are the very things that you lack. It's a struggle but I've seen improvement. I hate that I have to battle with myself but I have to tear my old self down before I can build anew.

No comments: